Project Initiatives & Current Projects
- A State Level Task Force & Partnership
This partnership addresses the statewide needs of the MT Kinship Navigator Program.
A Network of Support Groups
There are many existing support groups in Montana communities and still more forming. Click here for a list of Montana support contacts (updated October, 2019).
Support/ Education Group Facilitator Training is a one-day workshop to train relative caregivers and others to facilitate support groups in their communities. Please contact us if you are interested in becoming a facilitator.
A listserv is available for individuals interested in Kinship Caregiving Issues when they arise. Please contact us to get on the listserv.
Upon request, speakers are available on topics related to parenting and the Kinship Navigator Program. Contact us to inquire about availability.
This publication provides facilitators of support groups, grandparents and others interested individuals with information on topics of interest to grandparents raising
grandchildren in Montana. Click here to access all newsletter back issues.
The research team at Montana State University is currently studying grandparent wellbeing. Other topics studied in the past include relative caregiver mental health, role conflict, ambiguity in relationships, child behavior problems, stress, and social support. Click here to see a list of scholarly and popular publications and presentations featuring research by the previous GRG Project and the MTKNP team. Read these journal articles and book chapters authored by the MTKNP team:
- Resilient Grandparent Caregivers; Pathways to Positive Adaptation (book chapter)
- Ambivalence and Coping Mechanisms Among Custodial Grandparents (book chapter)
- Depression Among Rural Native American and European American Grandparents Rearing Their Grandchildren
- "How Can You Retire When You still Got a Kid in School?": Economics of Raising Grandchildren in Rural Areas
- Family Coping and Adaptation Among Grandparents Rearing Grandchildren
- "We Have No Rights, We Get No Help": The Legal and Policy Dilemmas Facing Grandparent Caregivers
Workshops and conferences are offered for Montana grandparents who are raising their grandchildren and service providers who work with them.